collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 166 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13050
  • stats Total Posts: 131619
  • stats Total Topics: 18398
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Problems you may encounter sluicing  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
Problems you may encounter sluicing
« on: December 21, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »
This is designed to help you with problems you may encounter. Always remember to level the sluice after trying to fix a problem. I have attached a level to my sluice and am always checking it. A short list of problems you will encounter;

1.   PROBLEM ~ SLUICE IS LOADING UP WITH MATERIAL

•   FEEDING IT TO FAST
•   INCREASE ANGLE
•   OR INCREASE WATER FLOW
•   YOU MAY HALF TO DO ALL THREE.

2.   PROBLEM ~ BLOWING GOLD OUT THE BACK OF THE SLUICE BOX

•   DECREASE WATER FLOW
•   DECREASE THE ANGLE
•   FEEDING TO FAST
•   DO A CLEAN UP
•   TRY ALL FOUR

3.   PROBLEM ~ RIFFLES ARE LOADING UP

•   RIFFLES ARE TO HIGH
•   LOWER ANGLE OF SLUICE
•   INCREASE WATER FLOW
•   TRY ALL THREE

4.   PROBLEM ~ BLOWING LOTS OF BLACK SAND OUT THE BACK

•   DECREASE WATER FLOW
•   DECREASE ANGLE
•   DO A CLEAN UP
•   OR TRY ALL THREE

5.   PROBLEM ~ WATER FLOWING OVER FROUNT OF SLUICE

•   GRIZZLY’S PLUGGED WITH ROCKS OR SOMETHING
•   UNPLUG MATERIAL

6.   PROBLEM ~ BOTH FINE AND COARSE GOLD FOUND IN YOUR AREA

•   CLASSIFY THE MATERIAL
•   RUN IN SEPARATE SLUICES
•   WATCH GRIZZLEYS FROR NUGGETS
•   TAKE SOME HOME

7.   PROBLEM ~ ONLY FINE GOLD FOUND IN YOUR AREA

•   INCREASE THE ANGLE OF THE SLUICE
•   INCREASE WATER FLOW
•   INCREASE THE WIDTH OF THE SLUICE
•   TAKE OUT RIFFLES {NO RIFFLES ARE NEEDED FOR FLOOD AND FLOUR GOLD}

8.   PROBLEM ~ ONLY COARSE GOLD FOUND IN YOUR AREA

•   DECREASE THE ANGLE OF THE SLUICE
•   INCREASE WATER FLOW
•   INCREASE WIDTH OF THE SLUICE

9.   PROBLEM ~ NO WATER OVER SLUICE WHILE SLUICING

•   CLEAN MATTING
•   CHECK PUMP FOR FUEL
•   IF YOU JUST RESTART THE SLUICE WITHOUT CLEANING THE MATTING YOU WILL SURGE THE MATTING AND LOSE SOME GOLD
•   WITHOUT A STEADY FLOW OF WATER OVER THE MATTING YOU LOSE THE GRAVITATION EFFECT.

10.   PROBLEM ~ SET UP SLUICE AND IT IS NOT LEVEL

•   TAKE TIME TO BULD A PAD
•   IF YOU HALF TO SET UP ON A PAY STREAK BECAUSE OF THE LOCATION DIG DOWN AND PUT THE GRAVEL ON TOP OF THE PAY STREAK THAT IS OUT OF THE WAY RUN AFTER SLUICE IS SET UP
•   ALWAYS RUN THE GRAVEL IN FROUNT OF THE SLUICE FIRST SO THE WASTE CAN GO THERE

These are a few of the problems that I have run into while sluicing. You will probably run into other problems that I have not talked about. You will probably run into other problems that I have not talked about yet.
You will half to try different things to fix the problem, but always remember to re-level your sluice box before starting it again.
Take the time to learn your machine inside and out. Whether you buy one or design your own like I did. Set it up and take it apart in your backyard a few times. I am able to set mine up in about 20 to 25 minutes; you do not want a sluice that takes you half of the day to set up.
If the location is easy access you may want to set up your sluice the day before and take it in one piece. Plan your attack carefully use what ever you can to your advantage.
Always remember to fuel up the pump and check the oil in the pump before you start it. Make sure you bring enough to last the whole day.
It is a good idea to always bring an extra shovel, fuel and oil. Take care of your pump and change the oil as required. Hours can build up fast if you are sluicing every day.
Take a healthy lunch with you, I like fruits of all kinds for snacks whenever you like one. Pack all the wrappings in a bag and take them with you at the end.
Do not bother the wildlife wandering about; enjoy looking at them I have been lucky enough over the years to get really close to some of the wild creatures that inhabit our planet with us. Also remember to have fun lol enough to digest here may be a few more i am sure ppl will add some things they found cheers Ray

Gear Pan
Gold Rat