collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

sunshinemike(swWash)

Dot Guests: 160 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13020
  • stats Total Posts: 131082
  • stats Total Topics: 18333
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: DirtHogg 5lb'er experience  (Read 6827 times)

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
DirtHogg 5lb'er experience
« on: December 20, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
I ordered a 5lb bag from DirtHogg Paydirt on December 6th. It arrived the 18th and I panned it down last night.
I panned it down fairly slow as to make sure I didn't miss much on my first pass, I usually pan faster more for sampling then recovery and use my Miller table to do the main separation.
I had the wife film my mediocre panning skills, so I know a lot of people don't like the swirl nonsense and just dip.. so before you say anything...
I still feel real confident in what I pan though.. lol maybe 90%  lol!!!@*

There wer also some nice hardrock specimens.

So here are some pictures:
Bigger pic link (best viewed in new tab or window)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGQxDEX21bQ[/youtube]

Yes there was a little flake of gold on the scale that fell off one of the nuggets, don't worry it was recovered!

I recovered 5 grams of gold with a 1 gram nugget! So yes I got a bonus bag!!!!

Thanks Mr. DirtHogg!!!
I highly recommend this paydirt, the purty looks 22Karat or better to me! The perfect color for gold and I have gotten redder copperish looking gold and lighter brassy looking gold in paydirt before!

Obviously Mr. DirtHogg probably spends a little less then spot value (hopefully way less haha!) and on a bonus bag he is still getting 100% market value for his gold. This is a huge win-win for the internet miners and for Mr. GoldHogg too!

So I hope everyone likes the 5 pounder report and the purty yeller gold pictures / video!

Merry Christmas to all - Good day.

Did someone say       

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: DirtHogg 5lb'er experience
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:25:27 AM »
DOH I forgot the hard rock sample pictures I took with my USB microscope!

Cool huh!?
Did someone say       

Offline idled

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: edmonton alberta
  • Kudos: 10
  • Duane
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
Santa came early to your house.
Nice color and a great video.

Offline coolshivers

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 19
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »
Love the video. Seeing your garage full of stuff is also cool.

I really like the speed up panning shot. Shows the full pan and your diligence. Very cool and well done.  In my video I use short stitched together clips but the speed up is a great effect as it kept me on edge without the drag of watching panning.    

You got a major score Ebuyc. A bonus and a big nugget. I don't think you knew how good you did till the end. Good lesson on classification too.  So bonus bags are out there. I got three bags but only one bonus. I bet some people don't get any.  The gamble of chance you take eh.  

I totally agree. The gold is awesome paydirt. For the small flour gold we get around here the bigger stuff is awesome to play with. Thanks for stepping up early and showing us. Good luck with the rest of the contest.  Good on you for supporting new vendors as well in a world of takers.

For those that haven’t seen it you can see my dirthoggpaydirt video here.
 DirtHogg Paydirt Gold Concentrates & Angus Mackirk Predator 3 III clean up - YouTube

ps. – 30 here. My water basin is frozen solid.

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:29:05 AM »
Very nice video of running that dirt hog stuff now i can see what to look forward to. Cheers very nice job you should post more Ray

Offline overtheedge

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 36
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 11:49:11 AM »
I had the wife film my mediocre panning skills, so I know a lot of people don't like the swirl nonsense and just dip.. so before you say anything...
I still feel real confident in what I pan though.

Ain't nothing wrong with your panning technique. I didn't see any of the swirling that I have problems with. Not much different from my technique. I'm sure many of you have seen what I have problems with. Pan held flat and swirl the material round and round for what? And like you, I have no problem using my off hand to scrape lights off.

At 5:26, 5:50, 6:06 and others, the side to side shaking is about the only difference. I use the same shaking motion, but under water.

You have good reason to be confident. Might I suggest accepting your confidence level as a bit higher than 90%, say 95%+. Can't get much better than that.

Although the lighting has a bit of redness, I would agree about the higher carat content. I'm used to lighting that has a high red spectrum content. The only lights I've found that were close to natural lighting is quartz halogen. Well to be honest, I found it in a video production magazine that gave an overview of the lighting video production studios use. Daylight and full spectrum florescent aren't too bad.

Good job and thanks for the video.
eric

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 11:57:08 AM »
Love the video. Seeing your garage full of stuff is also cool.

I really like the speed up panning shot. Shows the full pan and your diligence. Very cool and well done.  In my video I use short stitched together clips but the speed up is a great effect as it kept me on edge without the drag of watching panning.    

You got a major score Ebuyc. A bonus and a big nugget. I don't think you knew how good you did till the end. Good lesson on classification too.  So bonus bags are out there. I got three bags but only one bonus. I bet some people don't get any.  The gamble of chance you take eh.  

I totally agree. The gold is awesome paydirt. For the small flour gold we get around here the bigger stuff is awesome to play with. Thanks for stepping up early and showing us. Good luck with the rest of the contest.  Good on you for supporting new vendors as well in a world of takers.

For those that haven’t seen it you can see my dirthoggpaydirt video here...

ps. – 30 here. My water basin is frozen solid.

Yeah I left some catch pans in a tub the first winter I took up prospecting. Frozen ebay paydirt tailings!!

Only did that once as the pans and dirt survived, but the tub died a gruesome ice alien spawn death! haha

Very nice video of running that dirt hog stuff now i can see what to look forward to. Cheers very nice job you should post more Ray

lol!!!@* You made me laugh there!

Thanks for the video compliment, I spent a couple hours trying to figure out the iMovie program enough to make it. I must say it bores me to tears, I have been trying to get my wife and/or daughter into video editing so I didn't have to! haha I have failed so far...
Every time I make a video I learn the interface a little better, so it is getting easier and thus taking less time! I am sure I can do better with the image transitions for example! A little choppy they are.
I also have Final cut Pro but I am trying to learn the simpler iMovie first, plus that is installed on most of the computers in the house (you dont want to know how many I have!)

Here is my current work station before I upgraded the top two 'standing desk' monitors to 23" LED backlit ASUS's!

Unless I am working on someone else's computer, I only run Microsoft windows in a window haha (Virtual Machine VMware fusion)

I am not a huge Apple fan boy, but I don't care much for windows doing what I do for a living. I would just run Linux (which I do anyways for testing) if I didn't have an Apple.
In fact my main development box is a Hackintosh(Custom selected hardware PC with OS X installed) that runs 3.6GHz on an e8400 Core 2 Duo socket 775 chip!

Anyways I ramble... I am hopeful my youngest daughter gets more into video editing, I got her a new iPod Nano with the touch screen to replace her old one with a dead battery. She can take video with it... and she loves making comics for her 'Merlin fan club'..

Did someone say       

Offline Former Guest

• New user
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »
ok not sure on the teck talk lost me loooong ago with that stuff all greek to me, looks like i buy a bag but gona make you work for yours lol its all good lol gona make you work for it cheers Ray

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »

Ain't nothing wrong with your panning technique. I didn't see any of the swirling that I have problems with. Not much different from my technique. I'm sure many of you have seen what I have problems with. Pan held flat and swirl the material round and round for what? And like you, I have no problem using my off hand to scrape lights off.

At 5:26, 5:50, 6:06 and others, the side to side shaking is about the only difference. I use the same shaking motion, but under water.

You have good reason to be confident. Might I suggest accepting your confidence level as a bit higher than 90%, say 95%+. Can't get much better than that.

Although the lighting has a bit of redness, I would agree about the higher carat content. I'm used to lighting that has a high red spectrum content. The only lights I've found that were close to natural lighting is quartz halogen. Well to be honest, I found it in a video production magazine that gave an overview of the lighting video production studios use. Daylight and full spectrum florescent aren't too bad.

Good job and thanks for the video.
eric

Hey thanks Eric your comments re-assure what I thought I knew! I will try more side to side under water, lots of room for improvement!

The over head light is an older fat 4 tube florescent with two warm and two cool white bulbs alternating. But as you point out one of the bulbs is failing and the color spectrum isn't very well balanced right now. But I have found over the years the cheaper cool/warm white bulbs mix is much much cheaper then buying spectrum balanced bulbs that can cost $20 a pop. Further the brightness can dimmish with the extra doping additives they put in the phosphorus coating. Some bulb companies then put a 'twist' into the bulbs claiming more surface area and more light - I don't see it nope? Must be light out of the visible spectrum range eh!?

I raise fish so I know a little about florescent lighting. I use T-5's and do buy color balanced bulbs for them, but when I first started out with fish and for general applications I just used the generic mix.

Here is a short video of the fish tank sitting next to me:
flickr video

Thanks again! Got about a foot of snow here at my house last night!! My dog loves chasing snow balls - time for a break!

Did someone say       

Offline Former Guest

• New user
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »
yea nice tank about 60 gallon size? We got a 60 gallon with a fluval pump 405 works great see lori for names of fish just picked up few more in Edm yesterday. Yes fish are nice to watch and feeding time they come to you lol I want 2 clown loaches to watch they are funny playing watching them swim around is fun to watch. Ray

Gear Pan
Gold Rat