collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

garryk50suburbanator

Dot Guests: 133 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13020
  • stats Total Posts: 131082
  • stats Total Topics: 18333
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Gold Camp Gold  (Read 3895 times)

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
Gold Camp Gold
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »
It has always occurred to me that the various gold fields ought to be great places to hunt for stashes or hordes of placer gold.

Reading the histories, there was usually a rush and some of the first prospectors on site did incredibly well.   Transportation in the first year was usually nonexistent, so they were on their own getting their riches out or had to wait until a bit of infrastructure built up to support the camp.  In some locations, they were recovering gold by the pound.  When winter hit in the northern climates, it was not the place to be, especially if you did not have a cabin built and / or supplies laid up.  Also, why hang out with the boys, if you cannot continue to dig (some did anyway)?  More important, if you were now rich, why not head out to Victoria or San Francisco and enjoy yourself?  There would have been a limit to the amount of weight a man could carry with him.  I doubt many could hump out more than 60 lbs of gold on their back plus other supplies, or they might wait until snow and take more via dog sled.  In that case, I would expect the excess that they did not transport, would get hidden somewhere, with the full intention of getting it later.  Now, here is where it gets interesting.  Could they return (sickness, war, marriage, Indian or bear attack, financing, accidents, other delays)?  If they did return, could they always find the spot again?  Things look different in different seasons.  In fact,  I remember hiding some mining equipment in a hole at a rock slide.  I never found that spot again when I came back the next year. 

I bet when guys were successfully digging gold, that they constantly hid their poke or pokes.  Must be some still remaining that got forgotten or the owner got hurt, sick or killed. 

Secondly, there was high grading and other thefts that occurred by the hired help.  These fellows would drop a nice nugget or two into their boots, pockets, lunch pail, etc.  Not wanting to get caught, they would then want to hide it for retrieval later.  I understand that many of the so called "lost mines" was really a cover up story to explain the unexplainable (cover the theft of placer gold from another area that they wanted to sell).  "Hey, I was lost and hungry, but found this wonderful ledge of gold by a pointed rock, across the next mountain, above a white river.  I was only able to carry what you see."  Then the guy disappears and others spend their lifetimes trying to track down the false legend. 

So my question to the forum is regarding gold camp gold.  Has anybody tried to find or heard of any successes that they could share with there rest of us?  Maybe we could all learn something.
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Gold Camp Gold
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:14:49 AM »
It has always occurred to me that the various gold fields ought to be great places to hunt for stashes or hordes of placer gold.

Reading the histories, there was usually a rush and some of the first prospectors on site did incredibly well.   Transportation in the first year was usually nonexistent, so they were on their own getting their riches out or had to wait until a bit of infrastructure built up to support the camp.  In some locations, they were recovering gold by the pound.  When winter hit in the northern climates, it was not the place to be, especially if you did not have a cabin built and / or supplies laid up.  Also, why hang out with the boys, if you cannot continue to dig (some did anyway)?  More important, if you were now rich, why not head out to Victoria or San Francisco and enjoy yourself?  There would have been a limit to the amount of weight a man could carry with him.  I doubt many could hump out more than 60 lbs of gold on their back plus other supplies, or they might wait until snow and take more via dog sled.  In that case, I would expect the excess that they did not transport, would get hidden somewhere, with the full intention of getting it later.  Now, here is where it gets interesting.  Could they return (sickness, war, marriage, Indian or bear attack, financing, accidents, other delays)?  If they did return, could they always find the spot again?  Things look different in different seasons.  In fact,  I remember hiding some mining equipment in a hole at a rock slide.  I never found that spot again when I came back the next year.  

I bet when guys were successfully digging gold, that they constantly hid their poke or pokes.  Must be some still remaining that got forgotten or the owner got hurt, sick or killed.  

Secondly, there was high grading and other thefts that occurred by the hired help.  These fellows would drop a nice nugget or two into their boots, pockets, lunch pail, etc.  Not wanting to get caught, they would then want to hide it for retrieval later.  I understand that many of the so called "lost mines" was really a cover up story to explain the unexplainable (cover the theft of placer gold from another area that they wanted to sell).  "Hey, I was lost and hungry, but found this wonderful ledge of gold by a pointed rock, across the next mountain, above a white river.  I was only able to carry what you see."  Then the guy disappears and others spend their lifetimes trying to track down the false legend.  

So my question to the forum is regarding gold camp gold.  Has anybody tried to find or heard of any successes that they could share with there rest of us?  Maybe we could all learn something.

I like to check old mining camps / shacks. My prospecting buddy Richard said he knew a guy that found a gold stash in a hollowed out fence post at an old mining site! He found it metal detecting.
Not sure how much or any details - but that is one place to look, surrounding fence posts!

My 2 bits...

Did someone say       

james brown

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »
I seem to remember reading about toxic air in a shack... so be careful when exploring these sites ;)

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
Yea and old mine shafts covered up with twigs watch where you step as a kid few kids fell down an empty water well shaft was covered up and walked on it and fell in. Caused quite a fuss as i remember this watch your step or could go down fast cheers Ray

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:27:22 AM »
Yea and old mine shafts covered up with twigs watch where you step as a kid few kids fell down an empty water well shaft was covered up and walked on it and fell in. Caused quite a fuss as i remember this watch your step or could go down fast cheers Ray

There was a guy a year or so ago that fell down a shaft(Sierra's) and they couldn't recover the body it was so unstable.... so yes be careful or you could be stepping into your grave!
Did someone say       

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 10:34:12 PM »
In an area with old shafts around i use a stick to check as i step there just about fell in on time fooling around old bunker in Hawaii was exploring with my brother and just about fell head first into 10 foot deep hole in the ground a reap maybe be carefull snooping around strange sites cheers Ray