collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 183 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130832
  • stats Total Topics: 18306
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: howdy from alberta  (Read 4157 times)

Offline richvon

• Kudos: 0
howdy from alberta
« on: November 08, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Hey everyone i live in Acme Alberta close to drumheller and this whole area is full of coulee's formed during the iceage.I am a student of old buzzard and the outdoor channel I watched it loyally for years on c-band but never could find anything in Canada and gave up until just recently when i found this site.Buzzard believed that the gold was in the old dried up riverbeds and to look for places where a river crosses an ancient dried up river valley.This happen's a lot in my area with the red deer river running through some of the old dried up areas,has anyone else around here tried to find gold in these coulee's besides me. I have looked for a Canadian connection to gold panning and treasure hunting for a long time and i am glad i found this site.

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
Re: howdy from alberta
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 07:30:02 AM »
I live in near lethbridge and have found that most of the sand around here has indicators but no gold.The only luck I have had is in lethbridge,on the old man river.I have found fine flour gold in paysteaks near the mouth of the st.mary river and old man river.I have pictures of my gold finds.I have found a ton of black sand and garnets.I am certain that gold does exsist in certain areas of coluees.I bring a pan with me everywhere I go fishing and have had no luck.Only the old man river.I have read a article that states people around the provience wash gravel and sands for aggragites but also rob the gold from the sands.

Offline Eu_citzen

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Sweden
  • Kudos: 4
  • Geologists make the Bedrock!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 11:40:47 AM »
Welcome lad, enjoy your stay.

The rear end of a trilobite is called a trilobutt.

VikingSniper

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum richvon {cool^sign}

Offline shiver

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Canada
  • Kudos: 25
    • CGPF
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:23:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum Richvon!!!   {cool^sign} {cool^sign}

ClickTheYellowChick

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum, there Alberta prospector!

Sounds like you are in a wee bit of prospector heaven there where you are at.  <-party-> I'm looking forward to what others have to share with you in response to your question about the potential in your specific geography.  <-idea->

You know someone from the BC section was talking about govt geology reports from the "good ole days."  Do you think perhaps you and he could get your heads together, and he maybe help you conduct an "online search" for similar documents in Alberta section?  <-thinking->

I think his name is garnetsootheran.  You might look through some recent posts of mine--say in the last oh, 72 hrs or thereabouts--by clicking my name above my YellowChick avatar there to the left of this message.

Click on the thread hyperlink in the proferred post title where I was asking "garnet" for more info if he had it.  He came through like a champ for me.  Perhaps you and he could make some similar discoveries in your online access to solid info which would help you in your recon there.

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:45:13 PM »
Most of the coulees are post glacial created as the Red Deer River cut its new channel. You will find gold along the Red Deer River though pretty fine. I seem to remember referrence to up near Ardley on the river. Somebody also operated a drege (1930's?) on the Red Deer but didn't make a go of it. The Alberta Government has reports that may interest you. One of the first to check is Halferdahls (sp?) He did a study along many of the rivers in Alberta and reported his results. It is a good first look at the potential areas. Many of the best places to pan in Alberta are where pre glacial channels are intersected by the modern channels and where the "new" channel has found and adopted the ancient channels. There are a few resources for ancient channel info but a very good indicator is heavy concentrations of quartzite type cobble with less local rock and/or glacially derived metamophics as percentages of the gravel. Means a bigger contribution from pre glacial source. (This is an Alberta/Saskatchewan indicator). If you check with the Alberta Government for pre glacial river valley info (also called thalwegs) you may find some useful data. The Alberta Government did some work locating them, not for gold but for their potential as aquifers.
The sediments derived from the sandstones and shales of the Drumheller formations is not likely to be gold bearing. That being said though it costs ya nothing but a bit of time to pan anything that interests you. You never know till then.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!