collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 129 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12956
  • stats Total Posts: 129928
  • stats Total Topics: 18173
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: 20 Inch Impact Mill  (Read 8068 times)

Offline jimmydubois

• Kudos: 1
20 Inch Impact Mill
« on: November 25, 2012, 11:52:34 AM »
Designed this Impact mill with the help of a machinist friend, he used a cad program and was able to animate how it would pulverize rock within the program. Was pretty cool. All the parts were then laser cut and we built two of them.

Edit: I have the bluprints for this mill, I need to find a place that can scan oversize documents and I will upload for all.

Offline overtheedge

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 36
Re: 20 Inch Impact Mill
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »
Are you going to build up the wear with welding rod or cut/weld new hammers in? Impact mills have high wear on the hammers.

With the hammers being welded in place, be careful about your feed. Too over-size or tramp metal can result in catastrophic results.
eric

Offline jimmydubois

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:27:41 PM »
overtheedge
 We can do either, we cut about twenty extra hammers, I have them sitting in the garage. I asked about hardfacing the hammer plates and my buddy said he used a carbon-manganese steel which would improve wearabilty.

I have not ran this yet, planning on feeding it slow till the bugs are worked out.

jimmy

Offline aumbre

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »
Id be interested in seeing how your discharge is designed to work. With ongoing modifications mine is still not performing the way I think it should.

What is the weight of your hammer assembly, r.p.m., and power requirements?

Offline jimmydubois

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »
Aumbre
The discharge is designed to work from the air flow generated by the hammers, I have a comercially built impact mill that also has the discharge on the top  and it works good. I dont know how much the impeller weighs, it is very heavy though. I have a 16hp gas engine to turn it, I most likely will start low and ramp up rpm until I can get optimum discharge. Still testing.

Jimmy

Offline 3bros

• Province/State: Ontario
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 08:27:43 PM »
Hey Jimmy,
How has this mill worked out for you this far? Would be interesting to know mesh size of the final product, feed rates and especially wear rates!
I would have thought that the feed entrance would have been on the side close the shaft.
Do you plan on making these available commercially?
thanks,
KB

Offline Herman

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 02:58:40 PM »
Years ago I was working with a guy who designed his own impact mill with the help of his fatherin law who was a mechanical engineer.Similar to what u have there but this one was 24inch.12hp motor running it.At first it was inline connected but the joint kept blowing so the motor was mounted beside the unit and driven by belts which solved the problem.A belt tensioner out pf a car was used to take up the slack and kept the vibration of the belt to a minimum.The second problem was heat.the bearings would overheat and the grease would melt down the sides reducing the life of the bearings so an aluminum spacer was put under the pillow blocks to absorb and deflect some of the heat and a high heat synthetic grease was used solving that problem.The unit could handle material as large as one inch and flames would come out of the feed inlet sometimes when a quartz material was being impacted.This was really testing it though.The best run and final setup could produce as small as 800 mesh in a 3 barrel collection setup using a vacuum cleaner as a draw at the final barrel with  valve to control the flow.The hammers were bought ones as several attempts were made to use different steel bars,chains,pads etc but in the end it was figured out that the hammers were best bought as they wore out.I have a half made unit here i should finish one day as he took his when he left.Which brings me to the next project Does anyone know anything about electromagnetic induction furnaces?he built one using a car alternator,a gas engine and a small basic cuircut to melt platinum.I only have part of the info to build it so need more.Thanks
Herman

Gear Pan
Gold Rat