GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM
Last Shout - Posted by: brotherjames - Wednesday, 22 October 2014 02:22
Thanks guys! I'm honoured to help. < > [!!DANCE!!] < >< >
Welcome To The Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum.
Please consider registering to gain full access! - Its free and only takes a few seconds to complete - Click Here.

Gold Prospecting Forums, Gold Prospecting Forum

October 22, 2014, 07:16:01 PM *
A A A A
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Gold Hog
News: ★★ Join now to access the new downloads section comprising of 52
(and growing) diy prospecting equipment plans, and educational materials. Just click register, make two posts and enjoy. It's that simple!!★★

Home   Blog Search Register  

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM

Gold Prospecting Forum.

Gold prospectors forum

DIY mining equipment homemade prospecting tools.

Gold Prospecting Forums

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM mining forum, canadian prospecting forum, american gold prospecting forum. GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT

GOLD PROSPECTORS NETWORK

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gold cube review  (Read 5627 times)
yupthatsme001
Trade Count: (0)

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Alberta

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 2

Awards Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam

My 30 day Activity
2%

Awards
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »

Since I had asked a few questions and now I had two runs with the cube, I figured that I'd give my 2 cents worth of what I found.   Feel free to add.

When the cube arrived from Freds, I was surprised on how small it all was.  In the videos that I seen,  it seemed bigger.  I had chosen the 4 tray (1 slick tray and three vortex trays)  The reason why 4 instead of three tray version was due to the amount of fine gold that I seem to acquire.    The cube came with the 12 volt pump that you see in the pictures along with a very short 1"hose (about three feet long).  In my opinion,  it's a bit short for the pump to sit flat and reach the connection on the top tray.  I bought a 10'  long hose from princess auto so I could use it to help screen/classify my concentrates. The vortex mats look to be glued and stapled to the trays.   The stand that came it seems a bit light for having a battery sit on it as well but I imagine that a small quad battery would be fine (I was using a  heavy deep cycle battery). 

The manual that came with the cube said NOT to use any Jet dry or anything of that sorts so I didn't. (Had me wondering when I found some color in the discharge. ..) 

After running some water through the cube, I scrubbed each tray down with a small brush to get as much air bubbles out of the vortex mats. Having screened down to 12 mesh (the manual said minimum 8, or 12 if you want nothing to get stuck in the vortex mats) I fed a full 5 gallons of concentrates through the unit.  Once completed I took a quick sample of the tailings and found as few colors of of the first handful. Wondering,  washed out the first tray.  The amount of fine gold was astounding. The next tray was about 2/3 less, followed by the third tray was about 2/3 less than the 2nd tray. 

The best thing of it all....what would have taken me a month to pan out, took me about an hour and a bit to set up and take down.  Each tray had about a 1/4 cup of black sand and gold, so the super concentrates will be much easier to pan out or, with time on my hands now,   on a miller table that I will be building.

Would I recommend the cube? Yes. There will be some color in the tailings but, in my opinion,  for how fast it went through the cube,  you could run it through again,  to catch what was missed.   I might try the Jet dry for an experiment.

* 20121115_215024.jpg (4964.01 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 370 times.)

* 20121115_220000.jpg (3275.41 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 286 times.)

* 20121115_220614.jpg (3622.16 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 192 times.)

ebuyc
Weekend Prospector
PPT Invited

12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!

United States United States

Province/ State: WA

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 43

Awards Awarded to members who go above and beyond Awarding to members who made a suggestion to forum and got approved Awarded to members who help others to solve forum problems Awarding to members who have added proper about me, contact details and etc to p Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam Awarded to members who report forum related errors

My 30 day Activity
14%

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »

Very nice report  Good -thanks it is fair and clearly not biased.

Although the cube says no need for jet dry - I still washed mine with a scrub brush and soap (jet dry) when I got it...
I am not sure if Okie conditions the matts before installing them, but I figured best to make sure none of the conveyor belt manufacturing residues were present.

I also have been thinking about running the cube discharge into a 6"-10" V-ribbed sluice like placerminers, It may even need to be 12" to handle the speed at which the gold cube processes material.
I think the V-ribbed being a different riffle type could possibly catch gold the vortex matting has trouble with.... just a thought.

My 2 bits...

Did someone say       
Tickletime

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 2

Awards Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam

My 30 day Activity
2%

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:20:50 AM »

Yes I'll second what ebuc says with washing new vortex mating before use. Actually it's a good idea to wash everything before use, whether it's you're processing equipment or primary recovery sluice. On a side note, That gold looks pretty big for Alberta. A lot larger than the stuff I've been getting out of the NSR anyway. Have a really good look at you're tailings for the real small stuff.  Hypnotized

Former Guest
New user

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 23

Awards Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:49:47 AM »

We must hook up next spring same test as i just did with 1 gram gold. Also do anytime in my basement all set up for this. Call me at 780-336-3532 Ray
We could run each others tailings to see any results, but i use soap in mine
goldsager

Province/ State: pa

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 03:52:39 AM »

When I run my dredge cons through the cube I start with minus eight mesh an run into a twenty mesh then rerun have only found a few specks cant fina any in those tailingsI love the gold cube cant wait to try out the new griss their coming out with.
Johnnydanger

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 1

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 07:34:36 PM »

When I run my dredge cons through the cube I start with minus eight mesh an run into a twenty mesh then rerun have only found a few specks cant fina any in those tailingsI love the gold cube cant wait to try out the new griss their coming out with.

Do you have any idea when it will hit the market?

Greg in BC
PPT Invited

Golden memories are not always of gold.

Canada Canada

Province/ State: BC

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 5

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »

It's on their web page now
Johnnydanger

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 1

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »

Thanks Greg. I was checking there site the last month or so and they never had it up yet. The gold cube topper looks simple but effective. I'm a little confused at the 3/16" holes in the screen. I thought everything had to be screened to 1/8" for the cube.
ebuyc
Weekend Prospector
PPT Invited

12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!

Province/ State: WA

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 43

Awards Awarded to members who go above and beyond Awarding to members who made a suggestion to forum and got approved Awarded to members who help others to solve forum problems Awarding to members who have added proper about me, contact details and etc to p Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam Awarded to members who report forum related errors

My 30 day Activity
14%

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 05:07:02 PM »

Thanks Greg. I was checking there site the last month or so and they never had it up yet. The gold cube topper looks simple but effective. I'm a little confused at the 3/16" holes in the screen. I thought everything had to be screened to 1/8" for the cube.

They are allowing the 3/16" for two reasons:
a) faster classification of material.
b) two drop riffles are supposed to catch any gold larger then 1/8".

So if you don't want to pay $275 for the Topper, then make your own! I am pretty sure that tray is from casluicebox.com!
It is the A-52 high banker hopper box. $42 US plus shipping.

If you wanted more drop riffles, wider and longer area to do the work... I highly recommend the top tray to the G2! (G2 is 12" wide, A-52 hopper is 10" wide)
Rick will sell you the thin 'econo' version (thickness of topper) for around $50 and the much thicker plastic G2 version for around $100.

* G2_over_GC.jpg (705.73 KB. 1456x2592 - viewed 210 times.)
(right-click and open in new tab for best viewing)

Updated
If running fine river gold you will want to classify smaller then 1/8" or otherwise a lot of the 'fly poop' sized gold can get displaced by the 1/8" material. So runninng 5/32" or even 3/16" seems like a bad idea to me...

I can quickly classify down to 1/8" extremely fast with my casluicebox.com hand trommel 1/4" wrapped in 1/8" hardware cloth. I can run this directly into the cube, but I prefer to run it into the G2 bottom sluice first just to chute it over out of the way...
You can get the hand trommel for just a little more then the 'Topper' - I had to take a heat gun and mold the hopper flange down to a tighter tolerance and has been the only issue so far.
Best thing is I can re-run the tailings with a bucket placed at the end for really stubborn clay areas the 'Topper' would choke on...

* zinc_plated_hand_trommel.jpg (986.69 KB. 1359x2163 - viewed 225 times.)
(right-click and open in new tab for best viewing)

Or if the hand trommel is too much then build Mike's DIY hand trommel. I would use 1/2" or 1/4" for strength the wrap that with 1/8" hardware cloth.

I would use the green camo Home depot buckets though  Cheesy  They actually have these foam handles that are the best I have ever used....

My 2 bits...

* G2_over_GC.jpg (705.73 KB, 1456x2592 - viewed 210 times.)

* zinc_plated_hand_trommel.jpg (986.69 KB, 1359x2163 - viewed 225 times.)

Did someone say       

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: