collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

kodibear

Dot Guests: 174 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12960
  • stats Total Posts: 129968
  • stats Total Topics: 18179
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Steppe's Photo series on Mongolian Giant Dredges  (Read 73709 times)

Offline Linda

• Province/State: Ft St James, BC
  • Kudos: 0
Re: Steppe's Photo series on Mongolian Giant Dredges
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 04:40:22 PM »
Hello Steppe:
Thanks for taking the time to share those fantastic photos of the dredges.  They are quite a sight.
Makes my idea of a little ol'e gold pan seem really insignificant now.
Linda   

Offline joetherock

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: alberta
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 01:03:05 AM »
Hi everyone
This is Jenthenugget.  Those are awesome pics Stepp!!  They are huge and all the info you gave about them is fascination.

Years ago when I was in the Yukon, I remember going into a couple of the dredges that were not far from the roads.  One was, let me think, near Bonanza Creek (south of Dawson City), this one seemed to be in not bad shape.  There was another one off of "the top of the world highway" about 10 miles before the US border (down a dirt road for awhile), this one was pretty dilapidated.  Then there was another one just across the border between Action Jackson's (on border) and Chicken Alaska, this one was in a little better shape than the one down the dirt road.  I will try to find the pictures of them we took and I have some postcards too that I could share with you guys.  Being young it did amaze me how big they were (not as big as Stepps dredges) and the chain links were the biggest I had ever touched, back then it was like yeah that's cool-a dredge--nice.  Now it would be like ok-how did they get the dirt in? how did they move?  what was this for? where all did they travel, etc. back then it was interesting and ok--but now I would want to know more as an adult (problem is if I took Hubby to Dawson City, he wouldn't want to come back-and I don't want to move :()

All you guys are extremely helpful and full of information--just ask and someone will answer

Great job everyone--I learn something new everyday
Thanks for being here
Jenthenugget

Offline twobro

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Edmonton
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 07:36:25 PM »
I think this is the dredge by Dawson City that you are talking about.  It was fascinating, along with all the history.  It was the most amazing journey the wife and I have taken.  I would also love to move there, but the wife won't move either.

[attachimg=#]
[attachmini=# [ Invalid Attachment ] ]

Offline spud

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »
some pics of a bucket dredge in Eldorado Victoria Australia its called Coxes dredge 

honeyman76

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 10:06:07 AM »
The dredges look like something seen in Star Wars!!!

Offline geo_tonz

• Rocknerd Extrodinaire
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Courtenay
  • Kudos: 1
  • Don't tell me... it's right behind me isn't it?
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »
Good lord they're monstrous. I guess there's much bigger bucket wheels and such in Fort McMurray but wow! Sure put things in perspective when you're not allowed to put a sluice in the stream here!

Offline jeff steeves

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 09:24:19 PM »
 <-shock_> THANKS THERE EH! i havent ever seen anything like that before, I was thinkin a 5gallon pail was gettin it done WOW {cool^sign}

Offline BINZ

• Province/State: Christina lake, BC
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »
well this is a very impressive machine but on the other side of the coin how harmful is it to the surrounding ecosystem ? The giant trout called the Taimen also lives in some of these waters that the machines work in ...  From what i see it doesn't really leave the water like it was before it arrived .... I hope that they at least put up some sort of silt control to prevent the whole water way from getting as mucky as it is around the working areas...
just dig it !

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 12:54:19 PM »
Cool pics and yes in the 1920 dredging was done in the NSR 1 dredge is sunk bit down from Devon, at one time the stack was still sticking out not sure about today. 2 more sunk out east of Veg AB so the Nsr has a history of this cheers Ray check providence gold history

Offline kiwigold2

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 03:06:04 AM »
There are still some of those dredgers but a lot smaller being used in parts of New Zealand today also.
kiwigold