collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 233 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12990
  • stats Total Posts: 130581
  • stats Total Topics: 18275
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Using metal detector finding sulphides anyone/tips?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline elgreba

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Sundsvall
  • Kudos: 8
  • Toward new adventures!
Using metal detector finding sulphides anyone/tips?
« on: October 26, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »
Hey!

Ivé been wondering for a while.. Is it possible and effective to use metal detector hunting sulphides and "hot areas/spots? When im prospecting for sulphides i always has my falcon md 20 with me and it works rather good but i only get down about 5-10 cm down under soil etc.. So i asked a friend who has a detector to come to one of my "hotspots". He never used it to find sulphides so we gave it a try, and it did find some spots that had copper and iron (chalcopyrite, pyrrhotite). He has a rather old Garrett detector. So my quistions is..

Anyone using detectors hunting sulphides/"hotspots/bedrocks/boulders under soil etc?
What kind of detector would i buy/use?
What kind of setting on the detector etc?

Here is a short video/pictures showing the detector giving signal on a hot target..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWsO_mp9_pw&feature=youtu.be

/Andreas

Toward new adventures..!!

Offline cryptic

• Kudos: 0
Re: Using metal detector finding sulphides anyone/tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
Hi elgreba.

I know this post is a little old but i would just like to give my input on this.

I was helping out a company doing some channel sampling last fall and was asked to run my detector over the exposed rock.  Some areas of the rock gave a very good signal on the detector while the spots they were sampling gave me no reading at all.  The places that gave me a good reading on the detector didnt look like much at all. (not rusty or any visible sulphides..)  We cut samples through these spots and the results from the assay report were very good.

I would have to say that using a metal detector to look for sulphides works very well.  Of course, the minerals have to be in a large enough amount to give the detector a signal.

Offline lonedog

• Province/State: Gananoque, Ontario
  • Kudos: 2
Re: Using metal detector finding sulphides anyone/tips?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:04:23 AM »
I know that some guys are using their metal detectors to find steaks of black sand in creeks so I believe that most detectors react to hot rocks etc. I know mine do and I have a Garrett GTI2500, Fisher 1280X and a Fisher Gold Bug SE and they alll find hol rocks. Good luck