collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mentalcoincoinKnuckleBusterBCGQC

Dot Guests: 188 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12696
  • stats Total Posts: 125755
  • stats Total Topics: 17529
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: Prospecting for and mining diamonds  (Read 21062 times)

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
Re: Prospecting for and mining diamonds
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »
beauty stones, maybe someday ill find one, if so ill mount it uncut for the wifey. I really like the way they look uncut especially with the inclusions, not as clean and refined but there is a rawness that i really like.

Offline JenT

• New user
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 01:18:47 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm a wellsite geologist (oil and gas), but I don't have much prospecting experience. What I want to do is find a diamond, any kind, anywhere. The size and value is not important as long as it is visible with the naked eye. I really only just want to find a stone that I can put into a ring and propose to my long time boyfriend (we are practically married, but I want to make it official! As a geologist myself, I'd like to give him something more meaningful than something I buy in a store.) Canada would be nice - I can easily go anywhere in SK or head up to NWT after work. I have a decent (but older) jeep with good tires and 4WD.  I don't have much equipment but I can sample with hand tools for examination later. I know this will get some laughs, but my other option is to just drive down to Crater of Diamonds in Arkansas to dig for a week or so and see what I come up with. I don't know what that would really be like, but I guess it would make for a good story!  I'd really appreciate ANY advice or ideas that anyone here might have. 

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska and Idaho in the Winter
  • Kudos: 62
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »
Well hello Jen, welcome to the forum!    <-party->

I'll have to first mention that I have very little technical knowledge 'bout Diamonds    <-NO_>   except that when a suspected one is dropped into a clear vial of kerosene they are reportedly supposed to 'optically disappear' due to an identical Index of Refraction.       There you go - all of that special Diamond Knowledge of mine.

Now, a Diamond is your interest for posting here - but striking forth, and with some specific redirected effort, we could certainly help you  toward a possible alternate idea.

What about redirecting that enthusiasm  you have into recovering enough placer 'Free Gold' to have it cast into a band for your fellow?  That could be an alternative to the Diamond idea and both of you could share in the adventure. 

As I (selfishly) see things, a Diamond is just a cold, colorless crystal of old, black Carbon.    <-unsure_>
Gold, on the other hand, is such a warm and timelessly warm and glowing mineral.   <-yahoo_>

The choice, of course, is yours to make - let us know on your next post.     <-thinking->

Welcome again!   <-yahoo_>

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline rexhavoc

• Kudos: 8
  • Somewhere in deepest, darkest Cariboo...
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 09:26:37 PM »
Welcome aboard JenT! Glad to make your acquaintance.

Your post twigged something with me and I searched my artificial brain extension; found this tidbit:
    "Diamonds are not wettable by water, and are attracted to petroleum jelly"
I recall hearing of old timers smearing PJ on sluice boards to catch diamonds - I know sounds totally out there but apparently works.

Best,
rex

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2018, 11:12:19 PM »
Yes Sir,

That's the great thing about old brain cells - it only takes a little nudge for them to go back to work.   <-party->

I now remember that Diamonds are unique in that they don't ever get "wet" when in water -- and that they are easily able to 'stick' to greases.  So, underwater, a Diamond is "dry" (not wet) and when it touches grease (which also is dry and not "wet") the Diamond sticks to the grease.     <-yahoo_>

A really upside down, left to right, inside out and upside down version of mining.   <~ShOcK~>    <-shock_>

Offline Top Cat

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Langley BC
  • Kudos: 18
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 06:46:57 AM »
Good Luck with your quest !!

I would take your old 4X4 with the good tires and head south of the border to find what you are looking for.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 04:41:22 AM »
Jen, I was wandering back in the old posts and found this.  You might enjoy it.

http://gpex.ca/smf/index.php?topic=1366.0

Joe

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 158
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »
Jen finding a diamond of any size is a big deal and one ring sized is a major find for most casual prospectors. I have posted some info elsewhere on the site regarding the grease formula and methods to use it but have not located the link to it yet. Even Crater of Diamonds can be a crap shoot . Still a lot of fun no matter what the result. Alberta does have placer diamonds found along the rivers but again a crap shoot. The grease pan can help though. (Thats one of the hints I posted back when in this forum....somewhere lol)
Even right next to the known diamondiferous pipes in the province you are mostly finding microdiamonds. A larger diamond is like finding a gold nugget.

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline doonhamer

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2018, 10:55:59 PM »
Late Reply , but nebver the less ..

processing samples is quite complex if recovering from rock .. the mechanical separation part can make or BREAK the deal.

till or placer type mining .. I have used two methods ..
1st titration using sodium polytungstate .. used this in processing both till samples and in cleaning up of diamond samples ..

now bulk samples , were deflocked (simply a cement mixer with the paddles cut out unless processing clay type mud samples ( washed) ,. once sample is cleaned of silt we often panned them down , from there dried in oven and then ran through a mag separator to pull al metallics.. Then off to titration simply glass cones with a fancy coffee filter  ..At this point SG is set on the solution , |looking for garnet (  G10) or diamonds ..once SG is set so g10 garnet and if present diamond they sink to the bottom , all this time paying attention to the SG .. altering with distilled water when required . skim
sample is then again dried placed in mag separation  and dried thoroughly..
at that point i passed of to the red eye guys that spend hours upon hrs looking at the sample through binocular microscopes for as passes along a hand cranked conveyor ...
done this in nw Africa sub sahara , south Africa south america and the canadian north..