collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 132 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12956
  • stats Total Posts: 129928
  • stats Total Topics: 18173
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Prospecting with Astrobouncer Season 1, Episode 6  (Read 2960 times)

Offline astrobouncer

• Province/State: Greenville South Carolina
  • Kudos: 13
  • If your back aint sore, you didnt move enough dirt
Prospecting with Astrobouncer Season 1, Episode 6
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:55:48 PM »
This video has been pending approval with youtube for 4 months. Youtube finally stopped bugging out on me and it got approved tonight.

Prospecting With Astrobouncer S1 & E6 - YouTube

This episode is from back in May when me and Dr Phil went to Thermal City to do some highbanking. I think Dr Phil posted a pic of his cleanup from then but I cant remember. I got two loads of dirt (two cubic yards) and he got one. I think I had the camera on us too long when we were highbanking (when the camera view was across from both of us shoveling) but you can jump past the slow part if you want. 3:48 shows some gold on the inspection mat.

I know its not the best video I have done but hopefully some of you like it. I was so anxious to get some prospecting time in back then that I didnt take as much video as I would like.

Offline astrobouncer

• Province/State: Greenville South Carolina
  • Kudos: 13
  • If your back aint sore, you didnt move enough dirt
Re: Prospecting with Astrobouncer Season 1, Episode 6
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 07:43:11 PM »
Thanks. There's a lot of dispute over whether or not they salt the dirt. The mine owners say they don't and you can watch them scoop the dirt out of their big piles and bring it over to you with the bulldozer. Some regulars say its salted. Personally I don't think it is. The piles can be good gold, or you can find just a little or nothing. If they salted it I wouldn't have the rare days with nothing. And if they screened it beforehand I dont think they would let me have the big gold I find occasionally and I see others finding. 

They sell the dirt for 50$ for a cubic yard. I have personally seen a couple from Ohio get better then 1/4 of an ounce out of one pile back in either 2007 or 2008. To rent one of their highbankers is another 10 bucks which to me is worth saving me the hassle of gas + setup time on my own highbanker. Two scoops of dirt + highbanker cost me 110$ for the day. I didnt measure all the gold recovered just the picker so I cant say if I broke even that time, probably not. It was fun though and when the price of gold goes up in the future, no doubt I will be wishing I had bought more dirt.

They charge 10$ to pan all day long at the flume and I have seen some really nice gold come from there. If you want the best bang for you buck its the way to go. A fast panner can move a lot of material and find some good gold there. I have made my money back just panning there many times, and then some. The dirt at the troughs comes from their placer mine, same as the dirt you buy from them. You just cant do anythign with that dirt but pan since the pile is for everyone.  The thing with the panning is they get a lot of novice panners who pay their money, stay an hour, dont find gold and leave because they dont have the patience for it. 

Offline indyme2

• Kudos: 2
Re: Prospecting with Astrobouncer Season 1, Episode 6
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 04:41:14 AM »
Cool video, Astro. Nice take!