GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM
Last Shout - Posted by: mcbain - Friday, 24 October 2014 04:04
Hi. B. J. rirght behind you on this one.I remember the Prime Minister that brought all these guys to canada.free citizen ship free couple years on welfare free every thing all you have to do is reac havoc a few years down the road. Well the havoc and war is here.And canada is not ready too fight the wars of crazy religous fanatics that put human life below dog poo.And the silly folks in power still want to take our rights to defend ourselfs.Wee are in for a nightmare that is not going away soon.Luck all Mcbain.
Welcome To The Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum.
Please consider registering to gain full access! - Its free and only takes a few seconds to complete - Click Here.

Gold Prospecting Forums, Gold Prospecting Forum

October 25, 2014, 04:54:30 AM *
A A A A
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Metal Detectors
News: ★★ Join now to access the new downloads section comprising of 52
(and growing) diy prospecting equipment plans, and educational materials. Just click register, make two posts and enjoy. It's that simple!!★★

Home   Blog Search Register  

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM

Gold Prospecting Forum.

Gold prospectors forum

DIY mining equipment homemade prospecting tools.

Gold Prospecting Forums

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM mining forum, canadian prospecting forum, american gold prospecting forum. GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT

GOLD PROSPECTORS NETWORK

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: classifying screens  (Read 2320 times)
camper-2012
Trade Count: (0)

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Alberta

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« on: September 22, 2012, 02:47:44 PM »

Does anybody know where I can find size 100 -150 - 200 mesh screening anywhere around Edmonton for classifying concentrates?Huh

overtheedge
PPT Invited

United States United States

Province/ State: Alaska

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 23

Awards Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum

My 30 day Activity
2%

Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 06:06:31 PM »

You are aware that screening concentrates smaller than 60 mesh (250 micron) is tedious at best? I quit screening gold at 100 mesh (150 micron). Another thing to keep in mind is that you must screen in increments due to the fragile nature of the finer screens. A 200 mesh (75 micron) screen will hold water and 75 micron is just about the limits of unaided eyesight.

Never try to screen damp material: either wet or dry. When using screens damp material just plugs 'er up.
eric

GollyMrScience
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 129

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 100 reputation points on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Awarded to members who go above and beyond Awarded to members who have more than 50 reputation points on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 07:03:55 PM »

Bedrock Supply might have 100 and maybe 120 mesh but as overtheedge says its a pain to do by hand. Usually dry and a paint brush to swipe back and forth across the screens to aid passage. My lab sieves and tapping mechanism are way easier but way too expensive.
A company called Plainsman Pottery Supply - south side Edmonton - sell fine sieves for classifying powders. I use both their hand sieves (small 6.5" sieve that go 100, 120, 200) and a manual system that has a rotary paddle brush setup and fits in a five gallon pail for larger amounts -the sieve screens in it are removable to change sizes. I think its called the Talisman Rotary Sieve of something close to that. Its still a pain - just less of one.

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

camper-2012

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »

Greetings - Overtheedge - Thanks for the info, the reason I need the screening is that I want to get a screen fine enoegh to separate the flake gold from that real fine black sand. When trying to pan out the gold, the flakes like to skate around the pan and won't stay put so I can use the snuffer bottle to pick them up. The fine flour gold I don't seem to have a problem with. The concentrates come from the North Saskatchewan river.
    I do have a 20 mesh screen, so I thought that I would need something a lot finer.
camper-2012

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 07:23:51 PM »

Thanks - GollyMrSience - I'll have to give Bedrock a call & find out what screens they have. Also (I was thinking?) if I was to use varsol instead of water would the sand go through the screen any easier? (out in the open air though).
GollyMrScience
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 129

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 100 reputation points on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Awarded to members who go above and beyond Awarded to members who have more than 50 reputation points on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 10:56:20 PM »

The varsol will cause problems with gold floating and an unacceptable coating on grains when you try to clean them up after. Most solvents will cause problems one way or another.
I would suggest alcohol though.
Rum, Whiskey, Vodka, ...maybe wine. In a large glass to help keep the classifier operator lubricated as they sit there swishing dry grains around with a paint brush. Nothing worse than a squeaky classifier operator I say.

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

deadwood
DEADWOOD
PPT Invited

DEADWOOD

Canada Canada

Province/ State: alberta

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 14

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts Awarded to members who help others to solve forum problems Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam

My 30 day Activity
62%

Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »

Something is wrong here,flakes not settling on pan but flour gold will.I pan cons all the time ,and everything will settle on bottom of pan if au.Could you possibly still have a release agent still coating your pan?/DeadWood

DEADWOOD
coolshivers

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 19

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »

bedrock has a few -100 left. Maybe a -70 not sure. I was there friday.
Piles of jobe sluices but limited classifier stock.
Me and the short guy still waiting on Tom's revision.  Grin
camper-2012

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »

Hello Deadwood - - maybe I should of explained it better. The gold settles to the bottom ok but then when I start working the black sand around and off the gold, the gold flakes (being flat and larger) seem to get caught in the current so to speak and skate or tend to move with the black sand before I can get all that real fine black sand moved. Its the real fine black sand that gives me trouble.

camper-2012

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 11:38:46 PM »

at what point (size of classifier screen) can you retain the flakes in the screen and let only the flour gold and fine sand fall through.
                    Ken

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: