collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

WoodspiritHardpan82

Dot Guests: 263 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13066
  • stats Total Posts: 131873
  • stats Total Topics: 18426
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: SFU Geographers working on Fraser develop new model on bedrock erosion.  (Read 4880 times)

Offline brotherjames

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 29
Interpretation please... How is this significant to placer mining?
The video contained on the Nature Magazine page are very cool.

Star Trekish, rafting scientists make bold discovery on Fraser River | Geology Page

"Current models of bedrock-rivers assume flow velocity is uniform, without changes in the downstream direction. Our results show this is not the case," says Colin Rennie, an Ottawa U civil engineering professor.

"We observed a complicated flow field in which high velocity flow plunges down the bottom of the canyon forming a velocity inversion and then rises along the canyon walls. This has important implications for canyon erosion because the plunging flow patterns result in greater flow force applied to the bed."

The scientists conclude that river flow in bedrock canyons is far more complex than first thought and the way scientists have linked climate, bedrock incision and the uplift of mountains needs to be rethought. They say the complexity of river flow plays an important role in deciding bedrock canyon morphology and river width.

Read more :
Star Trekish, rafting scientists make bold discovery on Fraser River | Geology Page

Follow us: @geologypage on Twitter | geology.page on Facebook
Cheers - BJ.
Doing my part to rid the rivers of BC of their black sand.

Offline Top Cat

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Langley BC
  • Kudos: 26
Re: SFU Geographers working on Fraser develop new model on bedrock erosion.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 06:52:45 AM »
 <-good_>  Great Article !!!

Certainly explains a lot and is valuable info for prospecting.  Understanding the flow patterns and downward force on the bedrock certainly plays an important part when prospecting the Fraser.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline EMF

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 04:22:28 PM »
Thee's more detail here: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v513/n7519/full/nature13779.html#videos    I think they discovered that water in a bedrock canyon, instead of behaving as previously thought like water in a flume, behaves more like water in a ditch with a steeper than desired gradient. Placer implications seem to be that the sides of the canyon get broken up and sent on down to the placer sediments somewhere downstream along with any mineral material, and that hunting minerals in a bedrock canyon is a fool's errand.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 146
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »
Hi. B.J. I realleay got too chew my tounge off on this one.Its like fed. fisheries 2500 fed officers telling us how to manage fish.They all reside in Ottawa were there are no fish.these guys are no different. massive grants of taxpayers dollars for what.A great rafting experience.Sorry but I want my money back.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Top Cat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 07:13:40 AM »
Mcbain, I would rather see my dollars spent with this type of research than "A Study showing an increase of Drug Use by homeless people on the Eastside of Downtown Vancouver on Welfare Wednesday's which was just completed. Now that's a total waste of Taxpayers Money.

Just My thoughts!!

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 08:16:59 PM »
Hi top cat got yo agree with you on the welfare thing but I remember back in the early 80s when 2 guys got a humungus grant too buy a large farm in Richmond.The goal was to study the sex life of red earthworms.The study was never published and 2 very smart lads got rich onthe sale of the real estate.These grants are free and clear.Ecept for the cost to the taxpayer.I am still trying to figure out how to come up with some bizarre thing to get one of these grants.Just think i would not have to work any more.I could not do it.I could not scew my fellow taxpayers for a free ride.luck mcbain.

Offline Top Cat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 06:15:43 AM »
Hey Mark, there is a lot of "get rich schemes" out there. There is always someone willing to take someone else s money.  I'll check out the Free Grants and maybe we will partner up <-yes_> and cash in ourselves on tax payer dollars.  NOT !!!

I guess you and I will have to do it the hard way>"WORK FOR IT"  no easy street here.

Have a great day !!!

HH  [<-panning->]

Offline Goldcrow

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 08:24:12 AM »
Hey, mcbain....you could get funding for a study of "The socio-economic practices of the Coquihalla River Mouse During Prospecting Season".  Should be an interesting read..... <-laugh->
Work smart..and hard

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »
Hi guys I got to take this one further and leave it alone.thanks top cat you see where i am coming from. same goldcrow.I dont have time for mice but do like to observe the food chain.Big fish eats little fish little fish eats smaller fish and some funny little grey birds wreac havoc on small fry.I have made these observations over many years and have concluded this is the way of nature and has been happening since the beginning of time.My only degree is from the Mcbain school of technology.Not credited.so do not expect to see this in a sciecne journal soon.Not a bad read and did not cost the taxpayer at all.luck Mcbain.