collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 175 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13069
  • stats Total Posts: 131947
  • stats Total Topics: 18431
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: NSR\Red Deer river garnets  (Read 10132 times)

Offline GoldPoor

• Kudos: 2
Re: NSR\Red Deer river garnets
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 11:02:05 PM »
Darn! now I have to pan pebbles?  <~ShOcK~>

I use an old house screen used in the kitchen  for cooking and baking to classify down.  I told my wife I will save the small ones for her to look thru....all gold is mine though.

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 25
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 01:02:03 PM »
Hi i run into 1 great location in Edm for garnets i will share it with you and everyone now. By Wayne Gretzky drive as you cross the river look west you will see an Island there. Its on the other side south bank right by a storm drain. They are there by the thousands on the east bank of the storm drain. Just pan around and you will find them good luck cheers Ray

Offline Former Guest

• New user
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
East side of bridge on Wayne Gretzky drive by storm drain i found lots there no gold but thousands of garnets all colours as you cross the bridge on east side email me for excact location anyone.  Best spot i found for just garnets nice sizes took few for my collection cheers Ray

CelticProspector

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 04:24:07 PM »
Good for the Mrs LOL I enjoy finding Garnet too especially when I'm not getting gold in the pan  I get rose and pink ones on the Skykomish river claim I work wow Orange and green would be a cool find  Good Luck     Cheers Jeff

Offline RFB

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 06:35:54 PM »
Thanks for the info on the garnets gents...

Offline Former Guest

• New user
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 06:52:34 PM »
any time pm me for excact location i found them, would like to go pan there again been few years now since last time there. So would pan there again and see. i need a bigger piece so may go back was after gold last time there so moved on  <-yes_> ;D

Offline pRoDiEuS

• New user
  • Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 12:10:42 PM »
Around slave lake I have found pretty much every color of the rainbow of garnets . I guess it helps that there are kimberlite pipes pretty much 150-200km straight north :) Bring a grease table if you decide to go that far north you just never know. The Athabasca at Smith has some nice color.

I know this is an old post and the likelyhood you are still here and will see this is small. But where around slave lake do you find them. I live in slave lake and have been rockhounding the last two years. I would like to try and find some. Is there a specific creek, slave river, the lake, or elsewhere that you look? Maybe we could go together.
- Cheers

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 85
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »
Welcome Chris!   <-wave->   <-party->

In order to be able to send or receive PMs here you must first make a second, confirming, post.  The subject or content isn't critical - merely that you make that second post.  After that point the other members can PM you directly with who-knows-what additional information  <-yahoo_> - quietly and away from the active forum.

As to colors of Garnets - they come in just about every color you can think of.  It all depends on trace elements.

https://www.geologypage.com/2019/06/garnet-color.html    Colorless, Black and a ton of other colors in between.

I occasionally search certain areas for them as well.  I bring a small sized classifier, put a thin layer of concentrates from Gold panning in it and raise the classifier above my head and look towards a well lit area above me.  Many of the light transmitting, colored ones will stand out by the bright colored light coming through them. 

Like fireworks at night.

Best of luck in the search - and keep coming back with more questions   {-applause-}

As an additional thought  <-thinking->   - other folks here might be hip deep in other colored ones where they work - maybe PMs and a co-operative spirit will end up  with others forwarding some hard to get ones for your wife's collection. 

You never know!    <-dont~know->

Joe

Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 40
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 12:35:50 PM »
I never thought to try looking at the classifier from the bottom.  I will have to try that.  Instead, what I do is shake the rocks in the classifier (in water if available but it also works somewhat in the dry), so heavies go to the bottom.  I then flip the classifier in one smooth motion and dump its contents onto a flat surface.  Now, the heavies are on the top of the pile.  This is a good way to find garnet and zircon.  You can spot them by shape, colour and shine.  I am sure that it is also a good way to find diamond, which so far has eluded me. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline eagleheadgold

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 2
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 09:00:49 PM »
Ive spent plenty of time in the archives in Edmonton and surrounding area to study old literature, and an old settler by the name Von Hammerstein said the natives he encountered had "garnets and diamonds on the brain" and that they were used for trading. I got one garnet/granite combo stone that is about 200 carats that is currently in the tumbler getting polished. I hope it comes out nice and shiny as it looked like an old piece of granite going in....also found a few small purple quartz and lots of smoky quartz.

I mostly toss heavier stones and rarely keep the 2mm garnets.....this little one is from the Athabasca River.smallgarnet.PNG