collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 167 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13069
  • stats Total Posts: 131947
  • stats Total Topics: 18431
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: NSR\Red Deer river garnets  (Read 10133 times)

Offline Cap n Smash

• Kudos: 0
NSR\Red Deer river garnets
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to find garnets along the NSR \ Red Deer river. I will be heading to the Edmonton \ Red Deer area the last week of August. I have been panning the Yale panning reserve (I am from Coquitlam). Found plenty of colour and flakes but my wife has become addicted to garnet recovery and we have heard you can find orange or even green garnets in the NSR. Any tips or ideas on where to go would be greatly appreciated.   :D
I was raised on beans and cornbread and I like my chicken fried!

Offline GoldPoor

• Kudos: 2
Re: NSR\Red Deer river garnets
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 03:58:29 PM »
Hello Cap n Smash,

Monday past my wife and I were on the NSR at Devon, I was panning she was rock hounding/panning and she got 3 redish pink garnets and that was in her first pan.  Maybe try there.

Goldpoor

Offline Cap n Smash

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »
Thanks GoldPoor, I have read alot about gold at Devon (Prospector Point) but was unsure if there were garnets there. Thanks for the tip, this way i can pan for gold and the wife can pan for garnets. What size were the garnets that your wife found? <-thinking-> The largest garnet I found has been 4mm, it was a nice clear red, I say was because I have since given it to my god daughter who fell in love with it when she saw it. Wish I would have a least taken a picture of it. :(

Offline grolic

• Province/State: alberta
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 04:24:50 PM »
Around slave lake I have found pretty much every color of the rainbow of garnets . I guess it helps that there are kimberlite pipes pretty much 150-200km straight north :) Bring a grease table if you decide to go that far north you just never know. The Athabasca at Smith has some nice color.

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »
Many of the beaches at Cold Lake and Marie Lake are red with garnet. Sometimes quite striking but the garnet is pretty small.
Garnet of various sizes can be found along the NSR - A good portion of the larger garnet is broken out of metamorphics from the Canadian Shield so they could be anywhere along the river though I have seen some pretty big ones just to the east of the bridge across the NSR on Hwy 36 that goes north from Two Hills through Duvernay and Brosseau. They are glacially derived but must have been sampled from some courser garnet metamorphic rock from far north. Not that you might not find equally sized garnet anywhere along the river its just that I noted the size of the garnet at the time.
If you screen heavy cons off on a 12 mesh screen you should find a few good ones.
good luck!
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline Cap n Smash

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:30:15 PM »
Thank you all for the tips. I think I will be doing quite a bit of hiking along the NSR this go round as I will be spending most of my time in and around Edmonton. I guess I will have to schedule more vacation time next summer to check out all the locations you all have suggested in Alberta.

Thanks again,
Cap n Smash ;D

Offline GoldPoor

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
Cap n Smash

My wife found ones around the 1 - 2 mm size.  I have no idea what they look like in my screen, who knows what I have thrown out in sifting or classifying while panning.

Also look at rundel park on the east side of city near yellow head hywy, and on 199st.

Goldpoor

Offline coolshivers

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 19
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
I've been tossing all my screened rocks that are bigger then a 20 mesh and smaller then a 10 mesh over the fence into the neighbours yard. maybe come end of the season you would like them If I started saving them? Lots of purple garnet to pick out. From hours of highbanking. I'm in the city of champions.

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
So I guess you really woundn't want me to show you a bunch of the plus 20 and even plus 10 nuggets I have from the NSR and area would you? Just pokin' ya   ;D - I am sure everybody checks those screen fractions over - even pans them -just to be sure, because they would hate to miss anything.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline coolshivers

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 19
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »
 its whats caught in the 1/2" expanded or mats thats left.  Dear lord i toss one of those but they seem to be mostly heavy rock/iron etc.  I pick out a few select garnet from each batch then huck the rest over the deck into the neighbours barren yard.  I'm making a better cleanup sluice that I might start to run the larger stuff down as picking through it takes forever before it goes over. I will still be purging lots of small garnet thats -30 in size I have no intention of tweezing.   ;D