collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

SDHillbilly

Dot Guests: 159 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12501
  • stats Total Posts: 124043
  • stats Total Topics: 17146
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: YESTERDAY' STUFF  (Read 3452 times)

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 47
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
YESTERDAY' STUFF
« on: May 03, 2007, 03:19:46 AM »
Hi Colin,

It's only rarely I get a chance to do the odd post over in the General sector, not to mention pop in here.  Good to see you boys eking out the lost treasures.  And one thing that's very nice to see, is that you are responsible detectorists... you take the found junk with you for later disposal.

What you're doing brings back old memories of long ago, commenced detecting in '79.  That was when down in Nova Scotia, where history is much older and finds as well.  The raft of silver coinage, many with Queen Victoria on the front, the large pennies, old tokens, whatnots & etc, kept my older son (then 12 now 40) and I clung to every opportunity we could muster to get out and do a bit more searching.  Old school houses, halls, swimming holes, fairgrounds, old ghost towns, 1500's and 1600's fishing villages, an old French Fortress and the like, kept our blood running warm.  The first calling of spring would even find us very carefully chipping the frozen ground all around an old silver dollar, to ever so gently remove it from its long-time hiding place.  So clear are those days, and so clear every find.

In an old historic village, I once found what I thought at first was a silver quarter hammered to oblivion by some small ended hammering tool, much like the butt end of a welder's hammer, but very minute.... couldn't see an identifiable spot anywhere.  One time when in Halifax I dropped around to visit the curator of the Museum and showed it to him.  In a flash he recognized what it was. Apparently before coinage became available to the majority, the Indians would hammer out a piece of silver to the same weight and size of a coin, and use that for trade.  Still have it.... one day I will post a picture of it on site.

Got something else for you boys to look at.  In all likelihood you will never see another in all you life.  I'll show you the picture first, then tell you the story....
as follows:

If the above link doesn't work, try the following Photobucket link

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/LarryBC/Crossfire%20Bullets/CrossfireGroupCopyright.jpg

Early in the spring of '69, clergyman across the road, and black powder shooter, needed some more lead for casting his shot, so off to our local gun club we went.  The snow banks behind the target range were somewhat melting away, and there we found countless old .22 spent bullets.  There amongst them, to expanding eyes, came this pair of bullets which crossed paths in mid air, and fused to one another.  This is not a find with a detector, but one accredited to a sharp eye.  Still have them too.  So slim are the chances of such an occurrence, particularly at the angles they impacted at, that there has not been another found in the entirety of this world.  The closest, and the only other, were two musket balls which collided head on and fused... these were from the civil war era and now rest in a museum, I forget exactly which State.  head on I can see, but other than the prominence of being related to a civil war battle, this little pair of mine are far more unique, due to the angle of fusion.

The philosophy behind all this is, while detecting, keep your eyes trained too.  And I've many an old coin found by practicing that faithfully.  Some do linger around the surface, even after a hundred years or more.

Hope you enjoyed my offering.

Keep up the posts and good hunting.

Larry
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline Colin

• Province/State: Hamilton
  • Kudos: 0
Re: YESTERDAY' STUFF
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
Great story Larry!
Must say I have never seen that before :)

HH Colin