collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mike(swWash)

Dot Guests: 201 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12828
  • stats Total Posts: 127915
  • stats Total Topics: 17906
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
uley was active April 2017 - other than that I know nothing of him or his machine/project.

Hopefully Muley hit the motherload..or won the lotto....or  maybe this Superpanner thing drove him nuts ..have a listen turn your volume up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8DcQLjmhjY

They still make these..

uley was active April 2017 - other than that I know nothing of him or his machine/project.
Just signed up on the forum.  I recently made a trip out west metal detecting for some placer gold.  I decide after not finding any gold I took back some sample of "rotten quartz" and had it tested.  It came back with a 4.92 ppm on a dry ground test.

What does that mean in the aspect of any mining options?

Thanks.

RAndrew

4.92 grams per ton is a good gold grade. at today's gold price ,that works out to  $201.72 a ton ..but  it always comes down to 2 things...How many tons of ore do ya got at that grade or higher,and what is the end cost of processing it ...

You seen a train , some of those big box cars can hold a 100 tons.So  for rough math envision this in your mind....if you crush 1  full train box car of rock(with an avg  of 4.92 gram a ton) ,at the current gold prices of  $41 (USD) a gram right now you're looking at this math...100 ton x $ 201.72 dollars =$20,172

So crush 1 box car, get $20,172 sounds great, BUT then you got to minus out all your expenses..Things like your operating costs ...the cost of buying equipment (rock crusher, fine gold recovery system, machine to move rocks) feeding your equipment gas all day..covering  the cost of equipment break downs etc...travel cost to and from the site....and your gold recovery rates won"t be 100% of the gold...and when you get the gold it's not 100% pure ..you lose again on that when refining etc....

If you want to small scale hand mine,and buy a small rock crusher etc.just .think of how many train  box cars you'll need to crush

Example:  5 full 100 ton train cars  =$100,860 (at 4.92 grams a ton/$41 a gram ) that's BEFORE you minus out all expenses and account for gold  recovery loss and refining loss etc......

The higher the gold grade (gram per ton /.ppm) the less rock you'll need to crush For example (in US Dollars) and using the crush "1 box car full"

1 box car full with 100 ton capacity:

4.92 gram a ton (x$41 a gram)=$201.72 a ton x 100 tons-$20.172
12 grams a ton x ($41 a gram) =$492 a ton x 100 tons =$49,200
25 grams a ton x  ($41 a gram)= $1025 x 100 tons = $102,500
50 gram a ton  x ($41 a gram) =$2025 x 100 ton = $205,000

I don't know if this issue of pump size inlet has has come up in a court of law yet, but it's ridiculous to have to worry about a small difference in pump intake size to run a high-banker.  <-unsure_>

What I'm trying to address can be called mission creep.

In my opinion the intent of the law limiting the intake size was to simply put a restriction on the amount of water that can be used in hand mining. This issue has come up on here before.

My intent is to inform hand working placer miners that mission creep can happen to us. If you have a 2 inch intake pump you don't have to relegate it to the junk heap. You can still use it. Just neck it down to a 1/1/2 in intake hose.

In this case I won't call it a lie but, when misinformation is told often enough, people start to believe it's the law, including young, uninformed and ambitious eco police that will take your equipment away.

What placer miners really should be concerned about is, as geezer has pointed out >> water use exemption (Section 56 of the regulations) and until  December 31, 2019 from the requirement under section 6 (1) [use of water] of the Act to hold an authorization for the diversion and use of water for those activities.
That means that water use is controlled by the Mines act or the NOW. After the year end no more.

It looks like we will have to rent our own water from our government to wash our gravels.   ^#!

[<-panning->]
In Memoriam / Re: We Lost Patty
« Last post by PascalGold on Yesterday at 10:10:42 PM »
Sounds like he was a great guy, cheers to him
  <~ShOcK~>  What we have here is Apples to Mack trucks   {-censored-}
Hi.Guys glad to get some reaction ;D.Yea my math is bad,thanks for jumping in :) :) :).Luck Mcbain.

[-1st-]  Nothing wrong with your formula Mark.   <-unsure_> But there is plenty confusing with our measurement system.

The conversion site clearly stated "TON"
There are two tons the long "TON" UK  (2240 pounds) and the short "TON" US (2000 pounds)
And then there is the metric "TONNE" or 1,000 kilograms or (2204.62 pounds)

One tonne or 1,000 kilograms = 1 millions grams. So  4.92 PPM, grams to grams = 4.92 grams per metric tonne (2204.62 pounds)

That is 0.00000492 of a tonne. or 5/millionth of a tonne,  <-yahoo_>  nerd$#@ for Mark's math.

I would say that Bruno has the right idea but the site is wrong,  in  tons (US)  that is 5.423 gpt

And yeh, been in the bar in Likely and heard the old timers talking of  selling gold using the 16 oz scale.
In Memoriam / Re: We Lost Patty
« Last post by mcbain on Yesterday at 07:21:52 PM »
Hi.deadwood.I did not know him.He definetly has a place he enyojed.Thanks for posting his love of the forum.Luck Mcbain.
Hi.Guys glad to get some reaction ;D.Yea my math is bad,thanks for jumping in :) :) :).Luck Mcbain.
General Gold Prospecting Forum / Re: Floating Gold - GRrrrrrr
« Last post by Suave on Yesterday at 07:03:30 PM »
Gold is hydrophobic: meaning it repels water. Because of this, even if the piece of gold is first completely submerged, if it gets near the surface it will throw off the water above it and float. The reason is that the water's surface tension acts like the straps on a trampoline. Climb on one and they will stretch downward but hold you up. In the same way, the weight of the gold will stretch the water links creating the surface tension, but as long as the gold is lighter than the upward force from the surface tension the gold will float.

Since most placer gold is flat and thin, its weight is small relative to its circumference so it will usually float.

What prospectors really want to know is: "What is the least amount of surfactant needed to prevent gold from floating?" A surfactant is any liquid which reduces the strength of the water's surface tension. They work by wedging themselves between water molecules, thereby weakening the forces of attraction between them. It's like the old saying: A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. In this case the surfactant is creating billions of weak links in the water's surface tension.

The most common surfactant is Jet Dry. Didn't want to get too technical, but most people do not know that gold actually repels water.

Keep On Diggin'_Suave
hi.Sarnold.welcome to the site.takes two posts to become a member.That being said read the dates on posts you are replying to,This one is almost 9 years old.That poster has not been on in years.Just saying luck Mcbain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

Gear Pan
Gold Rat