collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

ryanonthevedder

Dot Guests: 125 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12582
  • stats Total Posts: 124304
  • stats Total Topics: 17286
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
A bit about mosquitoes, my uncle worked for government in the Yukon 20-odd years. Tourists/hikers died from natural causes every year.  That is what they call it when mosquitoes suck so much blood out of you that you don't make it out.

And a bit about those mountains... people who know will tell you that the mountains in Garibaldi Provincial Park, northeast of the Pitt and northwest of Harrison are really hard to get to. One of them had it's first recorded ascent in the 1980s. No kidding. This area is hard to get around in, reason being that any trail someone managed to push through last year is overgrown by June. There was a prospector you may have heard of, Volcanic Brown, something of a legend. He went up that way. Searchers found his camp. No bullsh*t, experience and bush-skills only get you so far out there.

Last point... Slumach didn't have a gold mine. He didn't take women up there and kill them so they wouldn't talk about his riches. He was hung in 1891 for killing Louis Bee, presumably in self-defense. Historian Fred Braches has done a lot more research on the subject than you or i, and he received an award from the BC Historical Society for his website slumach.ca. But people will believe what they want, and people have been dying in the attempt to find a lost mine up there for more than 100 years.

So, go ahead, have fun. Take lots of pictures.
Video Forum / Check out the shovel Guitar
« Last post by deadwood on Yesterday at 11:01:33 PM »
General Gold Prospecting Forum / Re: Slumach's lost gold mine has been found.
« Last post by mcbain on Yesterday at 06:48:04 PM »
A little humour  does wonders.Back in 76 not sure which century.I was camped outside of Dawson.acouple young tourists asked what those big black birds were.I replied with a straight face Hell them are yukon  mosquitos.I said they wont kill you all they want is your lunch.I played them for a bit but they clued in  that I was funning with them.Luck Mcbain.
General Gold Prospecting Forum / Admin.
« Last post by mcbain on Yesterday at 06:29:31 PM »
For you guys that can not see.ppt. admin is back and has taken care of some bad manners <-yahoo_> <-yahoo_> <-yahoo_>. luck Mcbain.
General Gold Prospecting Forum / Re: ,
« Last post by White Dog on Yesterday at 12:54:00 PM »
84.6 grams............
100.3................................................... <_miner_>

Well having moved to Maple Ridge (next to Pitt Lake) in 78 I've been up there many times. I can't believe , with the exception of a few comments from McBain you guys haven't commented on the how rough that area is. Lost track of the bodies that are in the bottom of that lake and how many times S&R have been called out to that area. The locals know but outta towners are in for a rude awakening! Good luck and take care.
General Gold Prospecting Forum / Re: ,contest
« Last post by caribooguy on Yesterday at 10:34:48 AM »
Well my uneducated guess  54g, 58g, 62g!  Thanks for your efforts!
Field Trip Sharing / Re: Recreational Gold Panning Reserves in BC - Yale
« Last post by mcbain on December 10, 2017, 07:33:51 PM »
Hi.Chris.Glad you had a nice day.Check out crevice tools on line .A small 2-3 hammer and a pry bar make it easier.You can make your own crevice tools.Luck Mcbain.
General Gold Prospecting Forum / Re: Who is looking for seasonal work?
« Last post by mcbain on December 10, 2017, 07:17:16 PM »
Hi.Norbertt.sounds like a old system.They want x dollars per year,only give that in your reports.You could file the claim as a small busness and deduct your costs for a bit.That only works if you are actually making money.Just something to look at.Luck,Mcbain.
Field Trip Sharing / Re: Recreational Gold Panning Reserves in BC - Yale
« Last post by chrisg on December 10, 2017, 05:14:29 PM »
With time on my hands this Sunday I drove to Yale today.  The highways from Vancouver were pretty empty even at nine o'clock and I was not surprised to see a little frosting and snow in shaded patches around Hope, however, very surprised no snow in Yale.  I helped the local economy filling up with gas in Hope.  In the the morning at Yale I was investigating a sheltered area so if you are wrapped up and with water proof gloves it was fine to pan, however, as the day progressed I tested a more exposed area and with the wind chill the water felt cold to me.

The water had receded considerably, (happy to provide pictures if messaged too large to put on the site I suspect), with a wide sandy area to the north of the panning area which was under water the last time I was there.  I took samples rather than pan down to the concentrate so I'll be interested to determine if 1, my panning technique looses considerable amounts of floor gold and 2, if I can discern any differences over the one hundred metres the samples were taken from.  After the line of green rocks and a small inlet, comes a small area of rocks then a wide expanse of sand before the rocks commence again and it is here where the larger boulders occur. 

Not too many holes had been left on the beach around the rocks and there were plenty of opportunities to have a look at rocks which had been under water earlier in the year.  I'd be interested on the best tactic to clean out cracks in the rocks.  Some tiny stones are jammed in cracks which don't seem to be able to be easily removed, so I'm thinking irrigation might get any silt and flakes out, yet, a difficult task which I'll have to think about.  I'm sure all the larger rocks have been dug around on regular occasions  I've always discounted this tactic as a fools errand with only the possibility of getting the spring floods deposit if you're the first on the rock. 

I saw two other panners come down in a truck, ironically one had been digging at one point I was testing earlier this year.  So I expect any specks of gold I find there will be the background concentration of the sand on the beach.  Interesting snippet provided in conversation that there had been a fire in Yale in the past and they deposited the debris on the rise at the top of the beach.  Apparently, some archaeologists had investigated the area in the past, anecdotally finding the broken ends of bottles for one thing. 

By two o'clock my hands were getting cold and I have enough dirt to pan down over the winter and spring and drove back avoiding the evening traffic which this alone makes for a successful day out. 

Cheers Chris

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10